Senior Assistant Manager / Department Manager
Reports to: Store Manager
Is responsible for all operations of the store in the absence of the Store Manager.
Distinguishing Features of the Work
The Senior Assistant Manager is the true second in command of the store. A fully trained and successful Senior AM possesses the same operational knowledge as the Store Manager and can run the store in the absence of a Store Manager. Becoming a Store Manager is not a pre-requisite to be in the Senior AM position but if interested, successful Senior AM’s will be considered for promotion to Store Manager.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Motivates, and leads by example. E.g. demonstrates selling and customer service skills on the selling floor, acting as a role model.
- Trains and coaches sales Associates in company selling skills and techniques, using the approved training program materials and all its tools as prescribed within policy.
- Is responsible for ensuring customer satisfaction.
- Supports all sales initiatives, contests, and events.
- Reviews opportunities in all product categories to maximize sales efforts of all associates.
- Actively participates in own development according to current training and individual development plans, using the assigned Training Store Manager as an ongoing resource.
- Takes active role in entire training process for new hires, following guidelines and provides ongoing training and coaching for existing Associates, seeking out all current available resources.
- Provides leadership and motivation, focusing on maintaining a strong team, thereby limiting turnover to the current acceptable standard.
- Assists the Store Manager by providing input on Associate performance appraisals.
- Takes an active role in sourcing and interviewing potential candidates for the store.
- Actively participates in promoting communication among and providing feedback to Associates and management to ensure that all store members are aware of standards, initiatives, policies, best practices, etc.
- Has keys to the store and is entrusted to open and close the store per policy.
- Takes responsibility for shipping and receiving product.
- Ensures physical condition and cleanliness of the store is in compliance with operational policies and procedures.
- Protects Company assets and keeps aware of all loss prevention issues and ensures Associate compliance with all polices.
- Ensures all cash handling and related bookkeeping is done properly.
- Works with Store Manager in controlling store expenses.
- Stays current with all store policies and procedures.
- Maintains close contact with financial paperwork and has working knowledge of how to interpret and react to this information, specifically the store P&Ls and the TIMS Reports.
Merchandising / Marketing
- Ensures compliance with all corporate directives such as planners, price changes and special events.
- Maintains the Company standards for visual appearance of the store.
- Keeps a good working knowledge of all product lines carried. Strives to improve own product knowledge and the product knowledge of associates on an on-going basis.
- Keeps all Associates aware of the need for proper organization and alphabetizing of product.
- Communicates with the appropriate Merchandising representatives on an as-needed basis to ensure proper in-stock position and to ensure that local sales opportunities are capitalized upon.
- Takes full responsibility for all management functions in the absence of the Store Manager.
- Uses pro-active planning techniques to help schedule staff for daily and weekly tasks.
- Demonstrates a high level of enthusiasm, energy, and a sense of urgency.
- Communicates to the Store Manager all relevant issues that may affect store performance.
Desirable Training, Experience, and Qualifications for Senior AMs:
- Must possess professional and leadership skills and attributes.
- Must be willing to work a minimum of 40 hours per week.
- Should have at least one year of retail experience and prior management experience.
- College or other education beyond high school is preferred.